The 2015 annual Lincoln Highway Buy-Way, a multi-state yard sale along the Lincoln Highway, will take place from August 13 to 15. For more information about specific states, visit:
2013 Lincoln Highway Buy-Way: August 8â€“10
The eighth annual Lincoln Highway Buy-Way, a yard sale that stretches across hundreds of miles, will be held from Thursday, August 8 to Saturday, August 10, 2013. Five states are participating: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia. Here is more information on how to participate in the Buy-Way:
Kickoff celebration for the Lincoln Highway Centennial in Indianapolis
September 21â€“22, 2012
Sponsored by the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association
Experience the place where it all began, inspired by Hoosier visionary Carl G. Fisher.
Friday, September 21
- Carl Fisher and James Allison Estates at Marian University
- Auto industrialist gravesites at Crownhill Cemetery
- Stutz Building
- Optional IMAX film on historic roads in Indiana in the evening at the Indiana State Museum
- book signing by Indiana auto historians/historic roads authors
Saturday, September 22
- Indiana Auto Pioneer Tour interpreted by auto historian Dennis Horvath
- A historic recreation of the luncheon where Carl G. Fisher announced his vision for Americaâ€™s first transcontinental road
- Jeff Kuehl as Carl G. Fisher, the Father of the Lincoln Highway
- A unique behind-the-scenes tour of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, built by Carl G. Fisher and three business partners
Share the road! Explore! Have fun with those who are like-minded and enjoy traveling Americaâ€™s two-lane roads. Discover Indianaâ€™s auto-making and road-building heritage.
Donâ€™t miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Register today! Early bird discounts may apply.
Need more information?
- Download the event registration form or flyer
- Visit the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association’s web site
- Call the Indiana LHA at (574) 210-6278
2012 Lincoln Highway Buy-Way: August 9-11
The eighth annual Lincoln Highway Buy-Way takes place from Thursday, August 9 to Saturday, August 11. The yard sales will take place along the Lincoln Highway in Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa.
- Buy-Way Yard Sale in Ohio home page and announcement by the Ohio Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
- Buy-Way yard sale planned, Bucyrus (Ohio) Telegraph Forum, July 5, 2012
- Ashton city wide garage sales to be held in conjunction with Lincoln Highway Buy-Way Yard Sale, The Ashton (Ill.) Gazette, July 12, 2012
Lincoln Highway kiosk in La Porte, IN to be dedicated on May 5
The Indiana Lincoln Highway Association invites the general public to a dedication of Indiana’s newest Lincoln Highway Byway interpretive kiosk on Saturday, May 5 at 9:00 a.m. Central Time (dedication ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m. Central Time) in La Porte, Indiana.
- La Porte Kiosk Dedication and 2012 Spring Annual Meeting, Indiana Lincoln Highway Association, April 5, 2012
IMAX movie on historic Indiana roads being filmed
Lori Cravens and Candy Yurcak are creating an IMAX film exploring historic roads in Indiana, including the Lincoln Highway, and why they are worth preserving. The film will be shown at this year’s Preserving the Historic Road conference in September.
- Preserving the Historic Road 2012 — Indiana · the filmmakers’ blog
- Porter County historical roads given star treatment in film, Phil Wieland, The Times of Northwest Indiana (Munster, Ind.), February 10, 2012
- Porter County’s Tourism Bureau Hosting Preserving the Historic Road Movie Crew, Indiana Dunes Tourism, hosted by PortageLife.com (Valparaiso, Ind.), February 9, 2012
1937: Lincoln Highway supplanted by new 4-lane highway in Indiana
On January 15, 1937, a contract was awarded to replace seven miles of the old Lincoln Highway, U.S. 30, in western Indiana with a new 4-lane highway. The contract price was $380,428, which is almost $6,000,000 in 2011 dollars.
- Almanac: This week in south Lake County history, Post-Tribune (Merrillville, Indiana), January 11, 2012
Indiana LHA pleased with byway designation
LHA member Jim Bevins talks about the work to get the Indiana portion of the Lincoln Highway designated as a state byway.
- Group pleased by designation honoring Lincoln Way, Matt Fritz, The Herald Argus (LaPorte, Ind.), November 2, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN looks forward to Lincoln Highway’s new “byway” designation
The Fort Wayne/Allen County Convention and Visitors Bureau is looking into how to draw more visitors to their area by taking advantage of the Lincoln Highway’s new designation as an official Indiana state byway.
- City’s future gets a boost from its past, Kevin Leininger, The News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.), October 21, 2011
What happened to Fort Wayne, IN’s Lincoln Highway arches?
Fort Wayne, Indiana erected two arches over the Lincoln Highway around 1914. Indiana LHA president Jan Shupert-Arick asks whatever happened to them.
- Community Voice: What happened to the Lincoln Highway arch, Jan Shupert-Arick, The News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.), October 20, 2011