In honor of the Lincoln Highway’s centennial, Mike Konz, the managing editor of the Kearney Hub, has written a book called The Lincoln Highway: Nebraskaâ€™s Longest Main Street Celebrates 100 Years. You can find out more information, including where to buy the book, below.
Ronnie O’Brien, Nebraska state director of the LHA and Director of Cultural Education at the Great Platte River Road Archway, is traveling across Nebraska to bring the Lincoln Highway to life to students throughout the state.
- Exploring The Lincoln Highway, Beatriz Reyna, KNOP-TV (North Platte, Neb.), September 28, 2012
The American Bus Association, a trade association of motorcoach operators and tour companies in the U.S. and Canada, has named next year’s Lincoln Highway centennial as one of its Top 100 events of 2013 in North America.
- Local Celebration Named Top 100 North America Event for 2013, Jordan Onwiler, Nebraska TV, September 8, 2012
- Lincoln Highway centennial named a top-100 event, Mike Konz, Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, September 11, 2012
Here is a great video of a historic Union Pacific steam locomotive traveling along the Lincoln Highway in Nebraska, via the Lincoln Highway Nebraska Scenic and Historic Byway.
Shelton, Nebraska will hold its 15th annual Lincoln Highway Festival and Car Show tomorrow, July 29.
- Shelton prepping for Lincoln Highway Festival, The Grand Island (Neb.) Independent, July 26, 2012
- Lincoln Highway Festival brings classic cars to Shelton, Jessica Kokesh, Kearney (Neb.) Hub, July 28, 2012
A 1930s-era gas station along US 30 in Sutherland, Nebraska is being restored. Closed for decades, restorers aim to re-open it in time for the Lincoln Highway’s centennial next year.
- Gas station renovation underway at Sutherland, George Lauby, North Platte (Neb.) Bulletin, April 16, 2012
The 23rd Street Viaduct project in Fremont, Nebraska would raise West 23rd Street (near an original Lincoln Highway alignment) over BNSF railroad tracks. An environmental assessment has determined that several historic properties would be affected by the viaduct, including a car wash building that is the only building of its kind along the Lincoln Highway.
- Viaduct could be moved down state’s list, Chris Zavadil, Fremont (Neb.) Tribune, February 8, 2012
Another story on preparations across Nebraska for the centennial of the Lincoln Highway:
- Towns getting ready for Lincoln Highway’s 100th, World-Herald News Service, Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, February 2, 2012
As the Lincoln Highway prepares to celebrate its centennial in Kearney, Nebraska next year, residents across the state are starting projects to beautify the highway.
- Residents Asked to Beautify Historic Highway, Luke Simmons, KNOP-TV (North Platte, Nebraska), February 6, 2012
Communities along U.S. 30 in Nebraska are working on various projects to prepare for celebrating the Lincoln Highway’s centennial in 2013.
- Sprucing up National Lincoln Highway for Centennial, North Platte (Neb.) Bulletin, February 3, 2010