Summer is almost upon us, and you know what that means Road Trip! This video is the work of a father and son who took three days to follow Highway 50 across Nevada. The route of Highway 50 follows in many places the older Lincoln Highway. In the video, we will see several Lincoln Highway posts and other attractions along the way. Enjoy!
Nevada Chapter meeting on Sat 11/12
Fall 2016 NevadaÂ Chapter Meeting
Saturday, November 12, 2016
Starts 12:00 noon
Louisâ€™ Basque Corner
301 E 4th Street
Reno, NV 89501
- Call to Order and Opening Remarks â€” President
- Approval of Minutes of the July 16, 2016 meeting
- Approval of Treasurerâ€™s Report
- Announcements â€” Nevada LH news, events, projects
- Announcement from Jim Bonar
- Update on the 1928 LH Marker: possible location at the depot, discussion about marker repairs/ceremony
- Status report for the LH signage survey â€” Brian Suen
- Supporting the 2017 LHA Iowa Conference, possible Nevada Chapter display â€” Brian Suen
- Road trip to Austin â€” Fall/September 2017: guided overnight trip with program in Austin â€” Elizabeth Rassiga and Warren White
- Discussion about 2017 programs â€” any ideas?
- Next meeting date â€” a tentative February meeting/lunch date
Nevada chapter hosts tour of Dog Valley section of LH on 10/1
The Nevada Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association will be having a tour of the original Dog Valley section of the highway (between Verdi, Nevada and Truckee, California) on Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 9:00 a.m.
We will meet as a group at the westernmost main parking lot at the Boomtown Casino, off I-80 Exit 4. Park and meetÂ at the west end of the lot.
Mike Mooney and Chad Hicks have mapped the tour, with a few stops along the way (including pit stops). Plan on taking around 4 hours for this exciting trip.
Our final destination will include lunch in Truckee at the Village Pizzeria, whichÂ serves a wide variety of entrees. If you have facts, stories or history related to the tour, come prepared to share, but please keep it brief, as we have a lot of territory to cover.
We hope many of you will be able to attend the tour.
Nevada Chapter meeting on Sat 7/16
Summer 2016 NevadaÂ Chapter Meeting
Saturday, July 16, 2016
Lunch starts 12:00 noon
Meeting starts 1:30 pm
Louisâ€™ Basque Corner
301 E 4th Street
Reno, NV 89501
Agenda: Includes nomination of officers.
Nevada Chapter presentation and meeting on Sat 11/14
Guest post from Warren White, newsletter editor for the Nevada chapter
Jim Bonar on the Lincoln Highway
Saturday, November 14, 2015
Sparks Heritage Museum
820 Victorian Avenue
Sparks, NV 89431
The Nevada Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association will present a special free program at 1:00 pm on Saturday, November 14 at the Sparks Heritage Museum. Jim Bonar will share his popular Lincoln Highway 102 lecture, which focuses on the development of the highway, along with some terrific photos of the Nevada route.
Jimâ€™s presentation will explain how the association was formed and how the highway evolved until its demise in 1928. You will see an array of old photographs taken of the highway during its existence. The photographic tour will include many photos and maps of the highwayâ€™s paths across the state and the Sierra.
Those interested in learning more about the Lincoln Highway Association can stay for our meeting immediately following the lecture.
Jim Bonar is a retired teacher and a member of the Lincoln Highway Association. He is president of the Nevada chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association and was previously its Nevada state director.
Travel blog on the Lincoln Highway from Truckee to Salt Lake City
P. Grover Cleveland, a landscape photographer and history and travel buff, is writing about his trip along the 1913 alignment of the Lincoln Highway from Truckee, California to Salt Lake City on his blog, Camera and Pencil in the Mountains. His posts are full of photos, tips, and GPS waypoints.
- Lincoln Highway posts, P. Grover Cleveland, Camera and Pencil in the Mountains
LHA Conference reflections
Cecelia Otto writes about her experiences at this year’s Lincoln Highway Association Annual Conference in South Lake Tahoe.
- Final day of the conference, June 23, 2011
- Post-conference highlights and reflections, July 4, 2011
Photos of the LHA Conference tours
Cecelia Otto, a songwriter who is traversing the Lincoln Highway, has posted some of her photo highlights of the tours at this year’s LHA Annual Conference in South Lake Tahoe.
Powning’s Addition in Reno named one of the Best Old House Neighborhoods
This Old House Magazine has named the Reno neighborhood of Powning’s Addition one of the best Old House neighborhoods in the west this year. The Lincoln Highway travels through this district just west of downtown.
- Best Old House Neighborhoods 2011: The West and Northwest — Powning’s Addition, Reno, Nevada, This Old House, April 2011.
- Powning’s Addition makes list of best ‘old house’ neighborhoods, Susan Skorupa, Reno Gazette-Journal, March 11, 2011
Nominate historic places in Nevada by May 1
The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office is conducting an online survey and holding meetings asking folks what historic resources should be preserved. If you want the Lincoln Highway to be considered, add your voice! The survey closes on May 1.
- Preparing a new Eight-Year Historic Preservation Plan by the Nevada State Historic Preservation Office
- Nominate historic places in Nevada by May 1 deadline, Lenita Powers, Reno Gazette-Journal, February 26, 2011