Summer 2019 California Chapter Meeting
Saturday, July 13, 2019
Registration required by June 14 — Limit 50 people
The Rainbow Lodge
50080 Hampshire Rocks Road
Soda Springs, CA 95728
The California Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association will hold our summer meeting at the beautifully historic Rainbow Lodge on the old Lincoln Highway in the scenic Sierra Nevada Mountains. The chapter has rented the lodge for the day!
The lodge, originally called the Rainbow Tavern and Trout Farm, was built in 1927 and opened to the traveling public all year round. It is nestled in the forest of the Sierra Nevadas on a scenic portion of the Lincoln Highway, overlooking the Yuba River.
We will have a barbecue lunch out in the back patio with a view of the river, and hold the meeting and presentation inside in the Presentation Room after lunch.
We are limited to fifty (50) participants, so to attend, you will need to mail a payment for $35 per person, postmarked by June 14. The fee covers the lunch and a share of the lodge rental cost for the day.
- 10:00 am — Meet and greet
- Enjoy the beautiful Sierra Nevada surroundings and the historic Rainbow Lodge itself.
- 11:30 am — Barbecue lunch
- Served on the deck (or in Yuba Room if weather does not allow outdoor seating)
- Beef hamburgers served with all the fixings, including lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and cheese, served with potato chips
- Knockwurst and bratwurst
- Veggie burgers (must be requested in advance)
- Homemade potato salad and cole slaw
- Fresh watermelon for dessert
- Sodas, coffee, tea
- No liquor or beer will be served
- 1:00 pm — Meeting
- 3:00 pm — Presentation
- Donner History Along the Lincoln Highway
This meeting will be popular, so reserve your spot as soon as possible. Please mail the following information:
- Names of each participant in your party
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Whether you want a veggie burger instead of a hamburger
- A check payable to Lincoln Highway California Chapter, in the amount of $35 for each participant in your party
Mail info and checks postmarked by June 14, 2019 to:
Lincoln Highway California Chapter
1136 Capri Drive
Campbell, CA 95008-6007
We hope to see you in the Sierras on July 13!
Neil A. Rodrigues, LHA California Director
Rainbow Lodge History
by the Donner Summit Historical Society
Rainbow Tavern, as it was then known, was built in 1927 by Herstle Jones who also built Nyack Lodge. He was the brother of Oscar Jones who built the Soda Springs Hotel. Rainbow Lodge served as a way stop for summer travelers over the Sierra Nevada mountains offering meals, rooms, and cabins as well as a trout farm. Visitors could catch their fish and have the dining hall prepare them for supper. Once Old Highway 40 (the Lincoln Highway) was plowed in the winter, Rainbow Tavern became a winter destination and way station as well. A rope tow was built out back and skiers were welcomed. Later, skiers who were more adventurous were taken up to the Sugar Bowl ski area. There were also two gas stations located at the Rainbow Tavern for needy travelers.
- Photos of the Rainbow Lodge from the Donner Summit Historical Society
- More on the history of the Rainbow Lodge
2 thoughts on “California Chapter meeting on Sat 7/13 — Register by 6/14”
I’m new to CA and used to live on the Lincoln Highway in Fords, NJ. Now in Sacramento, I’m curious as to exploring the road from “the other end!” Thanks for your help. Ebkordahl
I would like to reserve two seats at the July 13th California 2019 Chapter Meeting.
A check for $70.00 will be sent to you tomorrow along with our details.
We are “Plant Based” persons requesting two “Veggie Burger” meals. If possible, we would request that no (oil, dairy or sodium of ANY kind) be used in the preparation of our lunch.