New online map of the Lincoln Highway

We now have a fully interactive map on our web site, powered by Google Maps, detailing every route of the Lincoln Highway. Thanks to the LHA National Mapping Committee for the tremendous amount of time and effort it took to create it. Check it out and let us know what you think!

15 Responses to New online map of the Lincoln Highway

1. debbie C. says:

The map is great. I love interacting with it and finding new places of interest to explore. I’m having trouble however getting it to print out. Is this not possible? Please advise ~ and keep up the good work!
    Debbie C.

2. Russell Rein says:

Hey Debbie,
    Have you tried using the Windows snipping tool?

3. James Lin says:

Debbie, I have updated the map website. Please try printing again.

4. Russell Rein says:

Thanks Jimmy – I tried it with the print functions of IE and Firefox and it works great.

5. G. R. says:

Thank you for all of your hard work. The depth of detail is amazing! How can I suggest changes to the map as a result of updated road conditions or additional historical resources?

6. James Lin says:

E-mail Paul Gilger at map@lincolnhighwayassoc.org, with a diagram graphically illustrating the change and documentation supporting your proposed change (such as an old map).

7. butch gaudy says:

great map. thanks for the outstanding job.
    i’ll be riding the L hwy coast to coast on my oldschool panhead in may guided by your map. couldn’t do it w/o it, i am coming over from switzerland 😃🇺🇸

8. rusty kean says:

butch,, or anyone that knows,, I want to ride coast to coast on the Lincoln Highway on my Goldwing Motorcycle. I can’t be folding & unfolding & reading a map. I can’t figure how to put it in my GPS so I don’t have to stop each block. Any suggestions. I want to ride as close to the original as I can, but I am on a motorcycle, thanks anyone!

9. Frank says:

It would be really cool if the map connected to the user’s current location info and showed that – one or more Route 66 apps do.

10. Now you can. As long as you go to https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map (note the httpS), then click on Legend in the upper-right-hand corner, then click “Center on your location.”

– Jim
    LHA webmaster

11. Jack Hessler says:

I took the highway in 1934
    Then in the 60’s I lived in San Francisco at the end of the hwy at 32nd and El Camino Del Mar

12. Benjamin says:

The map is, in polite terms, busy. Is there someone there familiar with GIS or basic cartography principles that understands the advantages of layering? Some of the icons are superfluous which in turn makes the map less user-friendly. For instance, if one wants to look for LH markers in a particular area they may be forced to contend with a number of directional icons muddying their search. Also, this map is not available for download, so why not include GPS coordinates for points of interest? Another option would be allowing a click to open in a new window. It seems a lot of time was put into finding and posting the sites yet one small step further would eliminate the challenge people face when trying to look for these sites. Roadside America can do it, I’m sure you guys can too! Otherwise keep up the great work!

13. Shawn M Swonger says:

How rideable on a recumbent trike is the Lincoln Highway. Are there wide enough shoulders on the highway to ride on? I’m legally blind. Have ridden a 100 miles and done the 62 miler before have ridden bike paths almost to boredom status.

14. Hi Benjamin: thanks for your feedback on our map. I agree that it’s pretty busy. Unfortunately, given the all-volunteer nature of the map project, it’s unclear when we’ll be able to, say, put different icons in different layers so that you don’t have to see all of them at once. But we’ll definitely take your feedback into account. Thanks!

— Jim
    LHA webmaster

15. Shawn: I don’t know how rideable the Lincoln Highway is on a bike. Probably the best person to contact is Bill Roe, who cycled across the country on the Lincoln Highway and wrote a book about it, All the Way to Lincoln Way: A Coast to Coast Bicycle Odyssey:

Probably the best way to contact Bill is through his company, Tandem Properties:

— Jim