Fall 2013 California Chapter Meeting
Saturday, November 2, 2013
Whirlows Tossed and Grilled
1926 Pacific Avenue
Stockton, CA 95204
Kevin Shawver and Mike Kaelin will present their recent survey of potential locations for Lincoln Highway signs along Pacific Avenue, with references to the historical significance of the Lincoln Highway through Stockton.
Lloyd Johnson will give a short presentation on the colorful history and landmarks of the Pacific Avenue Miracle Mile during the Lincoln Highway era.
The city of Nevada, Iowa is holding its 30th annual Lincoln Highway Days festival from this Friday, August 23 to Sunday, August 25.
This Saturday, August 24, the California Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association is organizing a car cruise from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe over the “Pioneer Branch” of the Lincoln Highway. The tour starts at 8:45 am.
In honor of the Lincoln Highway’s centennial, Mike Konz, the managing editor of the Kearney Hub, has written a book called The Lincoln Highway: Nebraska’s Longest Main Street Celebrates 100 Years. You can find out more information, including where to buy the book, below.
The eighth annual Lincoln Highway Buy-Way, a yard sale that stretches across hundreds of miles, will be held from Thursday, August 8 to Saturday, August 10, 2013. Five states are participating: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia. Here is more information on how to participate in the Buy-Way:
Summer 2013 California Chapter Meeting
Saturday, August 17, 2013
12:00 noon–4:00 pm
700 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
After the meeting, we will walk along the Berkeley Pier, part of the 1927 Lincoln Highway.
In case you missed the excitement, the Lincoln Highway Association held a highly successful 100th Anniversary conference and cross-country tour earlier this month. And the press coverage was great!
- 100-year-old Lincoln Highway offers ‘magic of the road’
Jayne Clark, USA Today, July 5, 2013
- Cross-Country, by a Road Less Traveled
Rebecca Flint Marx, New York Times, July 3, 2013
- 2013 Lincoln Highway 100th Anniversary Tour Liveblog
Christina Ng, ABC News, June 24, 2013
- Lincoln Highway Centennial Paves the Way for Ultimate Summer Road Trip
Christina Ng, ABC News, June 23, 2013
- Enthusiasts mark 100th birthday of Lincoln Highway
Margery A. Beck, Associated Press, June 22, 2013
Spring 2013 California Chapter Meeting
Saturday, April 6, 2013
12:00 noon–3:00 pm
Bearcat Properties (please bring collapsible chair)
505 Laurelwood Rd
Santa Clara, CA 95054
- From I-880, take Exit 7 Montague Expwy, go west
- Turn left on Trimble Rd
- Turn right on De La Cruz Blvd
- Turn left onto Laurelwood Rd
- In 0.2 miles, 505 Laurelwood Rd is on the right
Lunch (to go — pick up before the meeting)
Last Chance Restaurant & Deli
3400 De La Cruz Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Menu: sandwiches, salads & pizza
- Reports from officers, committees, coach tour to SF, signs/monuments
- LH 2013 Centennial Tour dinner at California Auto Museum
Presentations (must not miss)
- Tour of John Bertolotti’s private auto collection which includes
Henry Joy’s 1914 LH Packard [group photo]
Winter 2013 California Chapter Meeting
Including Officer Elections
Saturday, January 5, 2013
12:00 noon–3:00 pm
Lorenzo’s Mexican Restaurant
3883 Taylor Rd
Loomis, CA 95650
- From I-80, take Exit 109 – Sierra College Boulevard. Turn north onto Sierra College Boulevard.
- Turn right onto Taylor Road.
- Lorenzo’s is located on the right. Parking is available in front.
- Taco and enchilada bar with non-alcoholic beverage for $10.95
- officer elections
- 2013 coach tour and cruise
- officers’ & committee reports
- online mapping
- LH signs
- LH 2013 Centennial Tour
- Chapter historian Gary Kinst will give a presentation on the Lincoln Highway alignment from Sacramento to Verdi, Nevada via Truckee.
- If time permits, we will tour several remaining sections of original pavement in Loomis.
A gas station built in the 1930s in Ligonier, Pennsylvania was demolished, but not before its owner, the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor, salvaged historically significant portions of the building. The organization will use those pieces to reconstruct a front facade of the station at its museum.